Let the Fall Layering Commence

via Zara
Isn’t it time? Shouldn’t it be getting colder? I know people who live in colder climates will be giving me an icy look right now but what can I do? I feel like 30 °C for mid-September is more than I can handle.

Look, during July and August it is to be expected. During September too, to be honest. This is Greece after all; I’m not that delusional. But during the holidays I can handle the heatwave. I go to the beach every day. I wear as little as possible. (Usually it's something like this). No,scratch that. I could wear less but I’m too embarrassed for my own good. 

Then I come back to Athens which is a city. Mind you it’s not a London-scaled city but still, a city. Concrete is heating up with aspirations of being a stove. I mean, you could probably make scrambled eggs on any surface outside during the day. I won’t be trying that though. My hair is also never ever happy since they’re a moving solar power system, what with being the darkest brown and all.

Mostly, I’m just sick of wearing the same things over and over again. I want the seasons back! Not this constant oscillation between summer and winter.

I want autumn, so that I can wear light layers: wear dresses without tights but maybe with a light jacket, wear jeans with a sleeveless roll neck, wear booties with shorts. Don’t worry though: the time usually comes when the temperature is just right for autumnal dressing. It just usually lasts for two weeks. Great.

The most annoying thing is that I love the layering season. You get to utilise both your hot and cold weather clothes, add scarves or any other accessories you might fancy, and all in all you can get quite creative (and ridiculous at times but that’s the point and the fun. Not all creative ventures are successful. )

So here I am, begging the weather to catch up with the calendar. I even want it to rain! ( I am of course one of those pesky people that enjoy rainy weather.) That was of course, before living in Amsterdam for half a year and realising how annoying my beloved rain can sometimes be. Especially when it’s a constant companion and it always manages to turn my hair into a big ol' mass of yarn.

There is however something very cathartic about it, especially when it arrives after an exhaustingly hot period. Unless, all it leaves behind is humidity (my second nemesis after the dreaded "blue screen") on a very hot day and we suddenly turn into the tropics. Still, I anticipate greatly the time when my waterproof jacket will be able to make its debut.

I’ve been browsing for weeks on the interwebs for wintery clothes, boots and all that jazz. But it’s just very hard to reconcile my body’s rising temperature (time to open the AC again. Let me tell you something: fans do not work) with looking at cuddly and warm woollen jumpers or a velvety "suede" jacket. I love it but I can’t have it. Ours is a difficult relationship. I know it’s bad for me to keep pining for it: it only makes me even hotter (I’m not even connoting anything. I'm being completely literal.)

And of course, the idea of going into actual shops and trying on warm clothes is a sheer impossibility. Unless they are extremely well air-conditioned. Sometimes that happens and it actually feels like autumn has arrived inside of, say Zara. Then all I want to do is find a quiet corner and stay there all day.

For now however, I’ll keep complaining about the weather and look at the new SS 2016 collections since they don’t make me want to shower every one hour.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow