Bags Aplenty: Boxy, furry, and 70's galore


Source: Tommy Ton.



The bag territory has always been something that failed to excite me as much as say shoes do. I know it’s supposed to be a weak spot in women’s accessorizing but I could never quite grasp the whole bag adoration.

That was probably due to my preference of either taking very little with me and shoving as much of it as possible in my pockets, or counteracting this instinct by carrying too much and thus always going for backpacks that provided me enough space, and at the same time the balance my scoliosis-suffering back much needed.

Warehouse saddle Bag, Topshop black fur Bag, Asos snake print bag, Story of Lola faux fur clutch Bag, Asos mini black boxy Bag, Glamorous Snakeskin Crossbody Bag, Accessorize Pink Saddle Bag, Street Level Round Furry Bag, River Island Boxy Bag, Asos Suede Saddle Bag.






Back (or bag) problems aside, I’m now finding myself falling for (and not over because of the weight I
carry on my back) some bags of this season.

For one, I just love this year’s fashion. That 70’s trend that’s been around for a few seasons already, has touched everything with its (black?) magic touch and given it a good amount of glamorous flair, freedom, boldness and unapologetic maximalism.

Naturally, accessories have not been left untouched (natural in inspiration and textures too). For me the bags are back, more enticing and fun than they’d been for some time. I catch myself browsing shopping sites and staring at them like the heart-eyed emoji, for an unhealthily (for my purse and poor eye-sight) long time.
Source: Harper's Bazaar

These bags make a statement. They come in a ton of textures, in many shapes and sizes: from the most basic household fixtures like buckets and boxes to the modern incarnations of the saddle bag.
You could even probably DIY a box with some faux jewels and other ornaments, add a top handle and be good to go. Your lunch would fit perfectly inside. Just try not to wear your pinafore or dungaree at the same time coz it’d probably lead in awkward territory, especially if you’ve got a baby face and people already think you’re still 18. (“I’m 22 people!”)

Stepping out of the box (get it? *wink wink*), you can always pretend you’re an aficionada equestrienne with all those saddle bags going around. You could certainly bet on them winning 1st prize at the most-coveted bag race. I quite fancy them myself to be honest and it has nothing to do with me dreaming of having my own horse and riding in the English countryside like an Edwardian novel heroine. I especially love those with more of a 70’s vibe by way of a suede texture (the reddish brown above is my favourite).

 But there are also snake-skin variations: another thing that has crawled on so many bags (that I’m starting to feel some sympathy for all those reptiles that never fail to get me out of my skin). They're also the perfect fit for those with a more minimalistic approach to dressing. I mean that ChloĆ© bag is lovely but I sort of need something a bit (or a lot) cheaper.

However, it’s not only reptiles that claim the spotlight this season. Furs of all kind will accompany many women throughout the cold winter months. And why should handbags be left out? I mean even shoes were furry! What’s better then, than carrying a furry friend with you? Not like Furby more like Hedwig. I prefer this association.  Everyone will probably get a furry item this year and it can be faux too, so you don’t have to feel your conscience, or your purse, running low.

The problem that I face now is trying to narrow them all down. Which is why I’ve made a list of some budget ones and hopefully I’ll be satisfied with a couple of these.
For this month at least…

*Here are a few more you might like: 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow