A Casual Outfit: How to Dress Like Yourself and Not Your Mother


Spring/Summer Rain Outfit feat. neckerchief and denim - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

Sometimes, I'm dressing exactly like my mother did when she was my age.

I've not planned it when that happens. It is or it feels like it's a subconscious choice. I don't realise that the clothes I pick out of my wardrobe are things my mother would draw out as well until I look in the mirror, only to see the image of my young mother looking back at me. It is an image I've never really witnessed myself, but only through yellowed, faded pictures or fuzzy narratives.





Even though I was not ever present, this image must have been firmly founded in me, perhaps through linked memory and emotion. It's always been familiar, safe and at the end of the day, a picture that formed my tastes, both through nature and nurture.

Spring/Summer Rain Outfit feat. neckerchief and denim - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


As a teenager, I'd resist this innate gravitation towards sartorial choices my mother would make. I reckon I just wanted to find my own voice, develop my own separate identity and style without my mother's influence. I'd go to great lengths to try new things that she wouldn't have approved of, or rather; she wouldn't have worn herself. These might have been clothes that she didn't "get" or deemed unflattering. (For that matter I was also trying to resist the rule that as a member of the female gender/sex, I'd have to dress in a flattering way at all times-heaven forbid I wore something that wouldn't attract the male gaze! ) There I was, then, mixing prints, which was a big fashion thing back then, but had never quite reached street cred. I was wearing midi-verging on frumpy- skirts, refusing to wear heels to go clubbing and having many other sartorial adventures.

After testing the waters and trying out different styles, I slowly came to be more confident in my choices. That experimenting period was crucial, though and hopefully, it will never end for good. Nowadays, I might not always be taking risks or dressing over the top, but I realise that it's just part of me being low-maintenance and refusing to faff around with a short hem that refuses to stay put or a bloody chocker that keeps getting tangled in my forever unruly mane.


Spring/Summer Rain Outfit feat. neckerchief and denim - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


Spring/Summer Rain Outfit feat. neckerchief and denim - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
At times, I'm up for trying new things and experiment but again, only when they ring some truth in me. I've become much better at not being gulled into trends by hype, celebrity style and whatnot.  I can better distinguish between the two comforts of dressing: being true to your personal style, or playing it safe.

So now, when I don't overthink my outfit but still want to look good, chic or interesting, I end up putting on something that's similar to an outfit my mum would've worn. A few years ago, I'd resent that and try to avoid it at all costs. I would change or tweak my outfit to look less like an art student of the 80's.

However, these days, I've managed to separate myself from my mother's image. Mother-daughter relationships can be tricky to navigate as we all know. When I realised, then, that dressing up in similar ways or liking the same things was not a sign of a mirroring identity but a part of my unique one, an identity which was informed and shaped in taste and intuition by my mother's, only then could I finally accept that at times, yes, I would look like the spitting image of my young mother and not just because of our shared hair DNA.


Spring/Summer Rain Outfit feat. neckerchief and denim - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

Spring/Summer Rain Outfit feat. neckerchief and denim - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


So, when my sister, looking at one of these pictures, exclaimed, "You look just like mum in this one!" I didn't get offended or worried but simply shrugged and replied, "Well, I am her daughter, after all!"

What I'm wearing:
Zara Denim Shirt (old, similar here)
Intimissimi Strappy Body (old, similar here)
Pull&Bear Jeans (old, similar here)
Reebok Trainers
Neck Scarf (old, similar here or here)
Sunglasses: borrowed from mother (similar here or budget here)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow