All Hail the Summer Dress!

All Hail the Summer Dress!

Do you hear that? It's the tacky summer breeze passing through the lush trees beckoning us to take out our loveliest summer dresses!

Summer Dress Season 2016: vertical stripes in neutral colours + sunnies + skiiny belt = the perfect summer outfit! www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

 For the past year or so, I've been steering away from dresses. Perhaps that was due to my not wanting to look cute. Or maybe, I've just grown out of them, preferring the support and security that jeans offer me. And yet as soon as summer rolls in, I jump right back into the dress bandwagon.

Because let's face it. There's nothing more comfortable to wear when it's boiling outside. Sure, you might be losing the chance to mix things up and try different combos since the outfit's premade for your wearing pleasure, but as I've said before you can still let your personality shine by way of accessorising with sunglasses, jewellery and all that good stuff. In any case, I truly believe that every clothing item manages to look different on each one of us.




Summer Dress Season 2016: vertical stripes in neutral colours + sunnies + skiiny belt = the perfect summer outfit! www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

Summer Dress Season 2016: vertical stripes in neutral colours + sunnies + skiiny belt = the perfect summer outfit! www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

So, even if I'm probably going to wear more dresses now till September, I'm still quite specific about the ones I'm choosing. For some reason, I either gravitate towards more minimal flowy pieces or more "bohemian" ones, inspired by traditional outfits of Eastern Europe. The more minimal pieces I love are usually column dresses that don't cling to the body. I used to wear only "skater" and "fit and flare" dresses circa 2010-11 and since then I have been utterly sick of them. Peter Pan collars as well. However, pieces that come straight out of the 70's (or even 80's!), no matter how much I've worn them, loved them, and how often they seem to come back in and out style, I never seem to get bored of. For whatever reason, they hold a very special place in my heart. Perhaps it all comes down to me hoping I was alive during that period. Who knows?

Summer Dress Season 2016: vertical stripes in neutral colours + sunnies + skiiny belt = the perfect summer outfit! www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.comThe dress I'm wearing here falls into the 1st category as you can probably tell. I love it because it feels more grown-up than others and doesn't (hopefully) make me look like a 15-year-old. It has a high neckline from which a rope peaks through. It's all very Riviera-like. There is quite a big scoop in the back but in this case, I've worn it a white crop underneath cause I had no time to fuss with any bra showing. If I'm on holiday, I'll usually wear it by itself, only with some careful adjustments of the straps to avoid any embarrassing accidents. My belt is an embarrassingly cheap one that I bought last year and which I always forget to replace with a better one. I just love the colour of it, a beautiful orange-brown that pops out and draws the eye to the waist of an otherwise neutral outfit.

Before heading out the door, I'm always stuck at choosing the shoes to wear. "What is the weather like, can I wear sandals, will it be to summery then?": all these thoughts crossed my mind on this occasion. In the end, I decided to wear this pair of old nude oxfords from Topshop. Very inoffensive and easy to chuck on and style with anything.

Summer Dress Season 2016: vertical stripes in neutral colours + sunnies + skiiny belt = the perfect summer outfit! www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


Summer Dress Season 2016: vertical stripes in neutral colours + sunnies + skiiny belt = the perfect summer outfit! www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

Now, I'm on the lookout for new summer dresses. A few that I've got are old and don't suit me anymore, so I've been endlessly browsing the websites of my favourite stores to narrow them down, but it's just so hard. They all seem to be perfect for my criteria. Oh well, I reckon I must carry on with my research! (poor me!)

How about you, though? Do you love wearing dresses in the summer? Or do you love them all year round? Most importantly, though: will you be buying any new ones and if so, which ones? I'm waiting for you to enable me!


What I'm wearing:
Zara Dress (old, similar here and below)
H&M belt (old, similar here)
Topshop flats (old, similar here
Bershka Sunglasses (old, similar here and budget option here)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow