Sky Blue Dress

A Sky Blue Summer Dress

Blue Really Is the Warmest Colour


Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com



Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


This dress has a long story. It's a bit older than me if I'm right in my calculations. I mean I haven't asked to see its ID so I'm going with what I know here. I first discovered it two or three years ago, but we go way back.  This dress was actually one my mum's maternity dresses. Are you shocked? I know, I was, when I chanced upon it one day as I was rummaging through my mother's old possessions -as you do. I picked it out of a box, gleaming at my find. Looking at the label, I saw it spelt "Pre-natal". It's safe to say; that was my first hint. When I brought it to my mother, showing her my haul, she only confirmed my suspicions. I didn't mind, though. I felt we had already established a connection, the dress and I.



 The colour is one of my favourites, and it hasn't faded noticeably. The dress itself a bit loose; to say the least, but the tie waist is its saving grace. Without it, it wouldn't pass for anything else than what it is: a maternity dress from the 90's. How can I express, though, how much I love dresses like that in the summer? They're loose and flowy enough, that they don't swelter you in the heat, and when I find the fit and length a bit too modest or old-fashioned, I like leaving a few buttons unfastened for some leg action (and when I say leg action I mean admitting I've got legs under the tent somewhere. I know risky!) 

It's also proven to be an extremely versatile dress. I love wearing it in the autumn with a simple high-neck top underneath or even with a jumper on top when we're nearing the winter months making it work as a midi skirt as well. I can even wear it as a long vest and throw it on top of a spring outfit when the weather's still got its ups and downs. Or, once, I dared wearing it with the top buttons unfastened, having a crop top beeing nicely framed underneath it. It has even worked as a brilliant beach cover up, so as you can tell, I don't know what this dress can't do!



Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


There's something very satisfying at being able to wear a dress that was made over 20 years ago. It makes me feel connected to the past and proves to me that good quality clothes can be worth their money and last you for literally decades. As a bonus, it's nice to know that I'm reusing and re-loving something that would've been thrown away instead.


So, I urge you to look for older clothes. In charity shops, in vintage stores, in online marketplaces, in your mother's old clothes boxes, I'm sure you'll find something that will capture your heart and that you'll have a blast wearing. 


Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com



Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com


Summer Outfit: A Vintage Blue Midi Dress - www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

| Dress: old vintage. Similar here (expensive) and here or here (budget) | Lace up Sandals: Asos (old, similar here) | Bag: Zara (old, similar here) |

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow