5 Ways to Wear the Off-Shoulder Dress

This post might seem like it’s coming slightly too late, but I think now’s the perfect time to make the most of the off-shoulder dress we bought last season. (We can all admit to having fallen victims to that hype. But, what a beautiful hype that was: I for one do not regret buying into it in the form of this loose and light Zara dress.) Sure, autumn might be coming but for all intents and purposes it’s still summer, and I’m planning on taking advantage of that fact for as long as I possibly can. That means wearing shorts, sandals and yes, summer dresses until my limbs start turning white-blue. My number one motivation, though, is the simplest one there is: I just want to wear my off shoulder dress as much as possible. I got in July and regrettably, I haven’t worn it all that much yet. I’m sure some would consider that as a plus, but when I find an item I particularly love, I want to wear it as much as possible and wear it in as many ways as I can, anywhere that I can. Because even though I love it to bits, I couldn’t bring myself to wearing it the same way over and over again. And many times, I just couldn’t do it. When I had to dress more formally, I couldn’t show up wearing it by itself as a mini dress, and the shorts I had hidden underneath it were quite useless on that front. So I had to improvise, especially since it was one of the few items I’d brought with me on holiday that could be dressed up. So improvise I did and to my surprise and utter relief, this off-shoulder dress or tunic (it all depends on height. Height semantics?) is proving to be so much more versatile than I could have ever hoped it to be!

1. As a Top over Denim Shorts
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: Top over Shorts How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: Top over Shorts

| Zara Dress | H&M denim shorts (old but similar here) | Birkenstock Sandals |

If you didn't buy an off-shoulder top, (are you sure you didn't? I thought everybody had!) fear not! The dress you've got can double up as one when you tuck it all in your shorts! Ta-da!! I'm telling you; this dress is magic and billowy and perfect.

2. On its Own
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a dress on its own How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Dress on its Own

| Zara Dress | Ray Ban Round Metal Sunglasses | Birkenstock Sandals |

Pretty self-explanatory this one. But just to let you in on a little secret, I was wearing a pair of shorts underneath. It was a particularly windy day and as much as I love resembling a hot-air balloon, what I don't enjoy is flashing my knickers on every poor passerby.

3. As a Tunic over Culottes
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Tunic over Trousers or Culottes How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Tunic over a Pair of Trousers or Culottes
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Tunic over a Pair of Trousers or Culottes How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Tunic over a Pair of Trousers or Culottes

| Zara Dress | Zara Culottes (old but similar here) |Topshop Sandals (old but similar here)

On holidays, I try to pack as lightly as possible. And that means grabbing clothes that can work overtime. These flowy culottes from Zara ( Zara's not sponsoring this post I swear! I just tend to shop there more than everywhere else.) have saved me time and time again when I needed to wear something more proper that doesn't scream you're on holiday, and you could care less what you wear. They're lightweight and flowy, and the fabric has a high-quality feel to it. None of my tops was working with them, though, so I grabbed my dress and hoped for the best. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I quite like an oversized look if the fabrics are light and airy. I might have ended up resembling a beach hut this time, but at least the beach was near enough that I could claim to be thematic.

4. With a Belt Over Jeans
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: With a Belt over Jeans How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: With a Belt over Mom Jeans

| Zara Dress | Vintage belt (similar here) | BDG Mom Jeans (old but similar here) | Zara Leopard Bag (old but similar here) | Asos Sandals (old but similar here) |

There are some days that you just want to wear jeans. It's breezy enough, and you think you can get away with it. You're going to see a play so you think you can finally dress up a little, have fun with it, and not look like you've come from another planet. To wear a belt, in this case, was imperative. Looking like I have been swallowed whole by my own clothes is not a good look on me. In retrospect, wearing jeans in the middle of summer was a poor choice. I was hot and bothered, quite literally, and couldn't wait to get home and change. Learn from my mistakes!

5. Layering It Under A Slip Dress
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Layer/Top under a Slip Dress How to wear the Off-shoulder dress: As a Layer/Top under a Slip Dress
5+. Night out option: Just add a pair of heels!
How to wear the Off-shoulder dress for the Evening/Night-Out: Under a Slip Dress and with Heels How to wear the Off-shoulder dress for the Evening/Night-Out: Under a Slip Dress and with Heels

| Zara Dress | Forever 21 Slip Dress (old but similar here) | Zara Heels (old but similar here) | Converse Trainers |

Wearing the off-shoulder dress underneath a slip dress was the ultimate test to its versatility. It was the most farfetched way I came up with styling it but I loved how it turned out. It can also work both dressed up or down depending on the occasion on your mood or let's face it -your dexterity in walking in heels.

So there you have it! Five different ways of wearing the off-shoulder and cold shoulder trend using only one piece of clothing! I'm certainly glad I caved in and bought one. It's definitely going to be worn next summer too, and I'm already coming up with ways of transitioning it for autumn and winter. Who else is excited?

P.S. I'm sorry for the quality of some of the pictures and the lack of posts. I was on holiday for most of August and as much as I tried to work there, the family schedule didn't leave me with much free time. For now, I'll be working towards uploading two to three posts each week. Thank you so much for understanding!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow