Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends I'm Loving

Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends I'm Loving

Ok, I hear you, the Spring/Summer 2017 Fashion Weeks have begun, and you're still preoccupied with the Autumn/Winter ones? And, I get your point, but right now, I'm doing the most I can to look more positively at the end of summer and the coming of colder months. And surely, anticipating and dreaming of all the new trends I'm going to try and incorporate in my wardrobe is the way to do that. And since in my leisure time, besides browsing Asos and Topshop, I am haunting the VogueRunway website, I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite trends that have emerged from the fashion shows of this A/W season. Personally, this helps me in the process of shopping for the new season because, no matter what, I always end up buying something new. However, knowing this weakness of mine, I try to plan ahead as much as possible. I note the pieces I'd love to own; I save the looks that inspire me and make boards on Pinterest (fun fact: I used to create similar trend based boards on notebooks when I was still an Internet noob.) I try to think which of the trends I'm loving are going to work well with the rest of my wardrobe and which ones will not be able to be translated to me in any aesthetically pleasing way.

When that's done, I can wonder about the shops freely, and look for those items. Having placed restrictions on my shopping means I can save up to buy the item that's made my heart skip, and that'll probably be something I won't be able to wear enough. So without further ado, here are the trends that I'm loving right now and that I'll try my best to find ways of incorporating them into my current wardrobe!

Puffer Jackets

Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends-Puffer Jackets
Balenciaga, DKNY, Stella McCartney.

I hope it gets cold soon so I can get lost in the arms of a humongous puffer jacket. Wearing it falling off the shoulders is recommended, but the attitude is obligatory.

Elizabethan Aspirations

Autumn/Winter Trends 2016-Period Pieces-Victorian-Elizbethan
Gucci, Simone Rocha, Preen by Thorton

For when I want to feel like I’m in another century or a tragic heroine. Probably both at once. Best accompanied with gloomy mood and pale complexion.

80’s silhouettes

Autumn/Winter Trends-80'sComeback
Isabel Marant, Fendi, Isabel Marant

My mum’s style from the 80’s must have passed on to me from looking at too many of her photographs. I guess, I was asking for it. When you look at the 80's inspired pieces that are slowly but surely making their way even into the high street shops, they don't look half as bad as you were previously expecting them to be, do they? I have to confess that I do like most of the 80's fashion.Ok, maybe not the blue eyeshadow, and the over-the-top shoulder pads. However, I love how they've translated that decade's style for today; I need pair of leather belted trousers! (Note from the editing process: My mother hates this trend. She says the decade's fashion was horrendous and cannot understad the sartorial fascination we currently have with it. I still love the paperback waists. )

Patent Leather

Autumn/Winter Trends 2016- Patent Leather, Vinyl Trousers/Pants
Creatures of the Wind, Tome, Valentino

Well, it seems I might be going out head-to-toe leather this season. A patent mini skirt is quite high on my wishlist. Right now, it beats the trousers. (I have Lucy William’s of "Fashion Me Now” to thank for that). Looking at all those vinyl trousers, though they're terribly tempting, I'm afraid I won't have the guts to wear them. I'll have to wait and see how I feel about this one. It's just that I'm terrified I might have a Ross situation.

Sportswear and Streetwear

Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends- Sportswear and Streetwear
Chloe, Public School, Rag & Bone

This will be the year I’ll finally be able to walk around in baggy and misfitting clothes without anyone giving me a second look. I call it “from couch to slouch”. I just wish I was still at uni where it would’ve instantly become my “I’ve just woken up and class starts in 30 minutes” look. (JK, I’m too uptight to wake up later than planned.)

90's Grunge

 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends- 90's Grunge, Punky Ballerinas, Chunky Boots
Louis Vuitton, Preen by Thorton, Valentino

always into this trend even when it's not "in". Maybe it's because I'm a 90's kid. I have a love affair with dungarees, chokers, and turtlenecks. I've been styling dresses with turtlenecks since I was a toddler (thanks, mum!), and I'm never going to stop.To toughen everything up, though, I’m on the lookout for a denim and a leather jacket. The bigger the better. They're amazing over that floral midi dresses that may or may not have been sitting in my wardrobe for the last four years, and that I might have donated only a few months ago. I might have some shopping to do.

Bovver Boots

Had they ever gone out of style? Not in my book, but now there’s seems to be a resurgence of them. I’m glad because I’m finally getting a pair this season, and that’s promise! Well, probably. I might buy them unless I buy a pair of Dr Martens. What’ d'you mean I’m indecisive?

Punky Ballerinas

These shoes are made for me, because as you know, I love contradictions. When something that’s supposed to look prim and pretty, turns punky and dishevelled, I’m all over it.

Statement Earrings

Autumn/Winter Trends 2016- Statement Earrings
Valentino, Balenciaga, Marni

This season’s earrings will probably weigh more than my head, but I’ll try to lift them anyway. Personally speaking, I don’t fancy the heavily embellished ones, but I'm drooling over more modest ones, made of metal or other natural materials.

Gloves & Belts

Gloves are in, and I’m jovial for it because I suffer from chronically dead-looking fingers during winter. Any excuse I have to start wearing a pair when the temperatures drop is more than welcome. I just hope they work with phones...As for the belts, while I do love the oversized look and never plan to abandon it, I also want to remind myself and others from time to time that yes, I do have a waist. Belts over jumpers it is then! (Side Note #2: My mum hates belts over jumpers too, and won't listen to me when I tell her it's better than wearing it fully oversized. She claims it's unflattering. I still love it.)

Colour Explosion

Creatures of Comfort, Emilio Pucci, Sibling

Colours and I have a complicated relationship. Sometimes we get along splendidly. Others, I hate them and don’t know how to behave around it. But now, I feel like after having had a long break, I can finally embrace them again. With caution, of course. I’m not going anywhere near yellow, though, no matter how trendy it is. I hate it, and it makes me look like I’ve just watched 24 episodes of a series in a row. Talking from experience, unfortunately.

Shop A/W 2016 Trend Pieces:

Disclaimer: None of the above images is my own. They were all taken from the VogueRunway Website. No Copyright Infringement was intended

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow