Baker Boy Reimagined

Happy Tuesday guys!
I hope your week is going well. Mine has been pretty good so far, and I hope it stays that way!



Today I thought I'd share with you, my favourite way of adding a little something special to any basic outfit: wearing a hat! You probably wouldn't know that because I've never shared it on here, but I've got a certain love for hats. Any hat, in any shape or size, is enough to spark a yearning in me. Or at least it was until I started veering of them about a year or so ago. I don't know why that was. Maybe I thought they weren't cool enough. Maybe the Man Repeller had gotten into my head, and I was scared to wear them. Maybe I had finally realised I wasn't French and would never be. No matter the reason, the results were the same: my hats (I've got at least five ) were sitting on top of my closet, gathering dust.

The other day, however, as I was preparing to go to sleep I had a "eureka" moment. I would wear a hat the next morning. And not just any hat, but a baker boy hat, which I hadn't worn in years. Usually, I would go for fedoras for a 70's vibe that had always felt akin to my aesthetics and to be honest complimented my curls really well. But this time, there was no question. It would have to be this baker boy hat that no one can remember how long I've had it. Why this particular style, you ask? Well, maybe I've seen too many of Megan Ellaby's videos. Or maybe it's the one style I hadn't worn for a long time. Maybe it's because I'm learning French again (although, I think that style is more British than French...?)

Anywho, I wore it, and I loved it. First of all, can we take a moment to appreciate the warmth you feel on your head when wearing any hat? Sometimes when it's windy and humid, there's no better sensation than keeping your head warm. But you've got to commit to it. No one wants to see your flattened hair once you remove it. So, once it goes on, it stays on.


H&M Baker Boy Hat (old but similar here) | Bomber Jacket | Skinny Jeans | Ankle Boots | Croc Backpack | Etnia Barcelona Glasses |

But hey, I've never mentioned my glasses, and I feel like it must be the elephant in the room. These bad boys tend to stick with me, only inside the house these days. It's not that I don't love them, but I've been wearing them for so many years, in and out of the house, and for the last couple of years that I've finally got used to wearing contacts, I'm enjoying not being a four-eyes. Sometimes, though, my eyes get really tired, and they hurt (does anyone else have that problem?) so I thought I'd take them out for a spin and give my poor eyes a rest. I just hope I haven't scratched my eye or something.

That might have been the reason I wore them on this occasion, but I like the style they create. We might have Alessandro Michele to thank for that, but I think it's actually cool again to wear glasses and even wear them as accessories, too. And not like the hipster frames from 2012 but any frame that might tickle your fancy! There are even heavily embellished ones for the sartorial adventurists among us. So now might be the best time to give our eyes a long due rest!

The rest of my outfit is pretty simple. Just my skinny jeans, a tee and a bomber. Because obviously. I had this bomber for a few years now, but if I want, to be honest, I'm starting to get sick of that trend. It's everywhere and not in a good way. Maybe I'm just a huge snob, but it's like when you love a song, and suddenly a clever advertiser decides to turn into an ad jingle, and you keep listening to it on the telly every half hour and then it's ruined forever. That's how I feel about bomber jackets right now, but it worked on this occasion, so I can't complain too much!

On that note, I'm going to bid you farewell, but before I do that, I urge you to try to wear a hat next time you go out. I know it's not for everyone, but I don't think it's something we should be so afraid of trying. Who knows, maybe you can pull it off! I know many people who can but are too worried about weaing them in public with one because of the stares that their fabulousness might cause. But, like anything in fashion, I say if you like it wear it and let them stare!

So tell me, do you wear hats? If not, would you consider wearing one? Which is your favourite style? And do you wear glasses? I really need to start a four-eyes anonymous support group...

Thanks for reading!
xx Mary

Here's some more shopping options:

1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Follow