Back to Black

black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit

Today I thought I’d share with you one of my most worn outfits of this month. I might not have been wearing the exact same things every day, but the overall effect was the same. As of today, it seems that autumn has finally graced us in all its windy glory and I don’t care how much I tend to annoy people by claiming I love the rain and the chill, but I’m honestly a happy clam now that I can start wearing shirts and knits. It’s especially frustrating when you scroll and scroll on Instagram, and all you see is beautiful textures and cosy coats, and you want to be wrapped in one too, but you could be risking having a heart attack. Yes, that’s what I live through every day. ( #firstworldproblems. )

I don’t know then if it was my mood or if I was bringing the dark skies I was anticipating onto my outfit, but whatever the reason, I fell back in love with wearing black. Now, I never veer too far from it. It’s a (lack of) colour that compliments me too well, and my vanity wouldn’t let me do that, especially on night outs. And since we’re on that subject, if you’re like me and going out outfits give you a headache, then just wear black, and you’re good to go. I also pile on a bit more makeup, and I delude myself into thinking I’ve got a decent “night out” outfit on.

But these couple of weeks, I started wearing black in the daytime, too, which is something I was purposely avoiding for the last two years. Those who know me well, know that I go through phases of loving something and wearing it to the bone until I get so bored and tired of it that I don’t want to see myself in it again. The same thing happened with all my black clothes. It was my go-to, what I’d wear when I couldn’t be bothered but still had to be presentable. Perhaps it was these associations that we attach to black-out outfits, which give them a bad rep. But then, I started admiring the French girls again with their “je ne sais quoi” attitude and affluence of black outfits. And so, I was back to black.

black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit
'
H&M Tee (old but similar here) | Pull & Bear Jeans (old but similar here ) | Zara Combat Boots (old but similar here) | Zara Army Jacket (old but similar here) |

On some days, I might wear my black jeans and a black tee with my favourite white trainers. Others, when it’s cooler outside, I’ll go for my khaki combat boots that I have for at least seven years and are still going strong. As for the shirt, I always want to have something with me in case the weather decides to turn around or if it’s in that awkward teenage phase where it doesn’t know where it belongs. I’ll never stop tying it around my waist, a layering trick straight from the glorious grunge 90’s that will never go out of style, at least in my book.

However, my reconciliation with black has left me wanting more. More black jackets, more black jeans, more black booties more black tees. I am not a fan of the one I’ve got right now. It’s too stretchy and fitted, and I want something looser and lighter. I know it’s getting too cold for tees, but they’re always useful, right? I mean, tell me you’re not wearing them during winter as well!

So that’s where I’m at right now. Back in love with black (and grey). Perhaps when it gets really gloomy and sad outside, I’ll start craving some colour again. Who knows?

black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit
black transitioning to autumn outfit

How do you feel about black? Do you wear it more that you would have liked? Or do you absolutely hate it? What do you love right now? Let me know!

xx
Mary.


Shop the Outfit:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow