Trend Takeout | How to be Both

 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

The Sweathshirt

If this isn't a trend take-out, then I don't know what is. But it was a happy coincidence to feature both velvet and a sportswear item. I swear! Waking up and finding the weather in full autumn mode, I decided I needed just a few more warm pieces. On to Asos I went and scoured about for the perfect sweatshirt or hoodie. For now, they will have to do. I'm saving the big guns AKA big woolly jumpers for the real cold. But in all honesty, there's is nothing quite like wearing an oversized sweatshirt in the crispy autumn weather we're having right now. I had previously underestimated their value, thinking they are not for everyone or that only the cool kids could wear them. I stand corrected.

I also know, that for many uni students, it is a staple in their wardrobe. And with good reason. What better top to put on when you wake up later than planned, rushing to go to your tutorial or library? Chances are, you haven't even had your coffee (or tea; pick your poison of choice), and that's rough. If that's the case, then I definitely recommend buying as many hoodies as you fancy. And now we can all gloat that we are fashionable while wearing them, too. Thanks, Vetements!

 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

This particular little number is from New Look. I sized up to make sure it was oversized and baggy. Maybe I oversized a bit too much but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. It's nice and cosy, and I can see myself wearing it everywhere where I need to up the comfort levels. It also consists of 35% cotton, which is not too bad, considering its price tag. However, my favourite thing about it is the fuzzy, fleece-like inside. Sometimes I am afraid of those materials sitting directly on the skin; I guess the cotton helps it and so far I've been loving rather than hating this blankety feeling it gives.

Another thing I love about this sweatshirt is its colour. It's a nice pastely pink that sits perfectly in the middle of cool and warm toned pinks. It must be one of the most flattering colours out there, and I believe it would suit any skin colour. I knew I wanted something to juxtapose the sportiness and volume of it and the pink does just that. Don't you think? Plus, it's more unexpected, and it makes a statement. Also, it's just a lovely colour, okay? (Though you'd never see me buying anything girly in pink.)I even wore it with a nice lippy which I think complimented the colour perfectly.

 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com
 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

The Velvet

Talking about juxtaposing the sweatshirt, I knew I wanted to wear something other than my trusty jeans. Otherwise, I would be veering too close to my uni days (ok, fine, just the last semester). I wanted to make this outfit a bit more original so I thought I should just add another trend: velvet! Oh man, I love velvet. It's probably my favourite winter texture. I love brushing my hands over it and how luxurious everything can look when covered with this shiny and beautiful fabric. I never stopped loving it, or buying it for that matter. Now, however, I have so many choices since the high street shops are brimming with velvet. You can't see me right now, but I'm smiling with exhilaration.

This velvet piece is a Topshop playsuit I'd gotten a few years back for New Year's Eve, which proves that if you choose correctly, you could be purchasing something to wear for years to come and on many different occasions. I thought wearing something short, and of a much more luxurious fabric on the bottom, I would be able to balance out the boxiness that was going on, on top.

All in all, I am ready to add more velvet in my wardrobe. It can be very versatile when it's in moderation. I've also got a pair of burgundy velvet leggings that I could have also worn. Maybe when we're closer to Christmas!

 Autumn/Winter 2016 Trends | Sportswear and Velvet | Pink and Black | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com

What I'm Wearing

New Look Pink High Neck Sweatshirt (similar)
Topshop Velvet Playsuit (similar)
Nyx Matte Lip Cream in Cannes
Asos Gold Hoop Sterling Silver Earrings
Converse All Star

Thanks for reading! Will you be taking advantage of the sportswear trend? Do you love velvet as much as I do or it's just not your cup of tea? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Catch you later,
Mary, xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow