A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in The Country

Hi guys! Happy November!! Hope you've had a fantastic weekend! Whether you celebrated Halloween or not, it feels like this week has been the most autumnal of all, as if everything is slowly getting ready for the temperatures to drop even more and for the holiday season to commence. Anyone else getting excited?


Today I have something a little different for you. I might be a city girl, but I like identifying myself as a nature lover. As soon as the opportunity arises, I run towards the open air- and maybe fall on my face a few times in the process.

A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country

This weekend, my family and I decided to take a short trip to the mountains. There's nothing better than taking a breather in nature amidst our hefty schedules and busy lifestyles. I always feel rejuvenated after being among the trees. The air there is so much cleaner and unpolluted that I can almost feel it going through my lungs and clearing them.

My sister jokes that she gets dizzy by "too much fresh air" and that she needs "some pollution" to steady her head. She might have been joking, but in some ways, her words ring true. There really was something dizzying about being high up in the mountains, drinking in the view, the beauty, the calmness, and the sound of the birds chirping away. After the honks and the fumes, my question is how can one not feel dizzy?


While we were driving and looking out mesmerised at the view, we couldn't help but feel that we were almost inside a painting. The dark forest greens were blending with the lighter green of the grass and with the yellow and red leaves that have started withering. I know nature is supposed to be dying in the autumn, but sometimes it looks as if it's just gaining a different life, like the Phoenix the moment he starts to burn. And so in winter it will cease and the snow will cover all the skeletal trees, whose foliage has long ago fallen all on the ground. And it's lovely, no matter what. There's just something bewitching about this time of year, and it has nothing to do with our celebrations of the dead.


Perhaps it's precisely the qualities of nature in the autumn months that gave way to the creation of these holidays. But I can't be sure of that. I'd have to do some research, and I don't have the time right now. I'm concluding, however, that even though I've always claimed winter to be my favourite season, autumn is proving to be an adamant contestant. As of now, only Christmas-time is managing to give winter the edge.


When you live in the city, you almost have these romantic ideas of the seasons. They're never represented realistically because they never reach their true form inside the cities. Can you imagine pure autumn in London? Perhaps it has its version, the parks from green turn orange and you are forever trying not to slip on the wet leaves that cover every pavement. But how can you not wish to escape the every day and see the full colours of autumn in all their splendour, out in the woods?

As for our trip, we decided to visit a lake in the middle of the mountains. I'll admit I'd never seen anything quite like it. It was truly spectacular, and it made me wish I could travel more often. Sure visiting foreign countries is brilliant, but there's always beauty to be found in the countryside.


A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country

You still have to dress appropriately too. Comfortable shoes, ready to take on any slope or slippery path are a must. But your clothes have to be able to let you explore, too. No street style tricks here. Layering, however, is a given since you'll have to adjust to the weather conditions appropriately. I always find that at trips I might get cold one minute and the next, be really hot from walking and squatting, trying to get the perfect shot. So, I left my coat in the car to allow myself unobstructed movement and piled on the layers in the form of thin knits and tees. I just wish I'd also brought a hat.


For movement's sake, I also decided to wear tights that are universally acknowledged to be far comfier than any kind of jeans. I know, I know many have a strong aversion towards tights but I never really understood why that was. I mean, they're pretty comfy, aren't they? And if you've got a pair like mine which is fleece lined (thanks, H&M) the comfort reaches a whole other level. So really, I don't know why would anyone give up on them altogether. They have seen me through many travels: from a windy and humid Amsterdam to a chilly and snowy Prague. They managed to keep my legs warm and I'm forever grateful to them for that. Admittedly, I was also sporting a pair of snow boots and way before they were on trend, may I add. (Hipster alert, I know). But that's a different story. Right now, all I've got to say is tights can rule!


Once you know what your non-negotiable items are, then you can play around. I knew I'd have to wear a playsuit or dungaree on top because a dress would defeat the purpose of the tights. The check pattern of these played well with the image I had in my mind of mountain dressing. Let me dream I'm in Scotland, will you? Underneath it, I wore my trusty light knit from Zara in my favourite colour: royal blue. I love it because it gives me some colour without it being too loud, especially when paired with a muted colour palette. Then, you just let nature's colours do the rest of the talking


A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
A Mountain Escape: What to Wear in the Country
Zara Knit (similar here) | Pull&Bear Playsuit (old but these could work?) | H&M Fleece Tights | Zara Boots (very old, it's embarassing, but similar here) |

That's all for now. I hope you're having an amazing autumn, too! Do you ever have the chance to take a trip to nature? Does your city have enough greenery? Do you love the autumnal colours as much as I do? Let me know in the comments!

Lots of love,
Mary

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow