60's Inspired

Something you probably don't know about me is that there was a time when I was completely obsessed with everything 60's and 70's. I would listen exclusively to The Beatles and the Stones and dream of having been born earlier so that I could live my dream of being a flower child. Bob Dylan baffled me with his incomprehensible lyrics but dazzled me with his harmonica. I still have chills whenever I hear "The Hurricane". The Kinks were kings, and Janis Joplin amazed me every time with her amazingly impactful voice. The student revolutions, Martin Luther King's speech and the feminist movement, were all contributing factors to my obsession.

Of course, I know better, now, than to romanticise those decades. Still, they offer me and many others so much influence and inspiration. I don't think there is another point in time that has made its mark, especially in fashion, quite as much as those decades have.

The last few years my obsession has been subdued, but it's funny to see how embedded in the foundations of my aesthetics these decades are. There's always a duffle coat in my wardrobe, that every time I pull out, I end up styling my whole outfit around it; meaning I will end up wearing a very "beatniesque" black turtle neck and matching skinny trousers or an A-line skirt with the classic knee-high boots, to make Bardot proud. Let's not get into the whole beret thing. I'm sure it will make an appearance sooner or later.

So around four years ago, I would only wear outfits that were 60's inspired. I can't tell you how many A-line dresses I had. Well, ok, I'm exaggerating; they were around five. But for someone who has made it a point to stay away from them since then, they were quite a lot. These days I cringe at the thought of wearing another A-line dress. They have been forever engraved in my brain alongside the words quirky, and the images of Zooey Deschanel and Taylor Swift in her Red years. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just felt like I had moved on. Plus, they made me look cuter than anything else, and I have always been trying to avoid that since.

The A-line skirt, however, is an entirely different thing. When worn in the right way it can look quite cool, if I do say so myself. It's got that cool French Ye-ye singer vibe, especially when paired with those slightly baggy knee-high boots. Mine are 60's-cum-biker shape; they're real leather, and they have been keeping my legs warm for six years. It was probably my first big investment buy, and they have certainly proven their money's worth. Back to the skirt, though. You might remember that last year the button down skirts were trending pretty hard. Trending or not, I will always love a good A-line corduroy skirt. I have worn it in every way possible since the day I got it, and it's always as comfortable as ever.

Today I felt quite nostalgic, so it's no surprise that I gravitated towards this outfit. To me, it's comfort and cosiness packed in an outfit. It's also safe to say that is was one of those days that I wanted to go nowhere and just sit in a warm coffee shop and read, which is something that I always feel more comfortable doing in tights than in anything else. Anybody else feels me on this point? I mean, sure, jeans are great, but I find a pair of warm tights as encouraging and comforting as holding a hot cuppa tea on a cold winter's day, watching the latest Gilmore Girls.

So yes, I love a good 60's throwback. And from time to time its influence appears in my looks on a day when I least expect it. Same goes with the 90's, which might explain my long love affair with dungarees and corduroy.

What about you? Has a particular decade influenced your aesthetics and the way you dress? Let me know in the comments!

What I'm Wearing

BDG Cord Skirt (similar here and here ) Roll Neck Top (similar) Knee-high boots(similar) Red Cross Body Bag (similar)

2 comments :

  1. You writing beautifully! I loved your synopsis of the 60s! This outfit is so cool, I love the silhouette you have going on with the skirt and sleek top.

    For music I love the 70s, but for fashion I like Ancient Greece!

    Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) The 70's are brilliant aren't they? I'm always devouring my mum's old photos looking for inspiration.
      But I've never really considered Ancient Greece as a sartorial inspiration. How do you translate it in your personal style?
      x Mary

      Delete

Follow