Put a Belt on It

Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci

Anyone close to me knows I love a good juxtaposition, a good mixing of things that seemingly don’t go well together and that I dislike anything too matchy-matchy or harmonious. It makes me yawn, and that is that. The same applies to my taste in clothing. No matter what I’m wearing, I’ll always make sure I’ve got something on that will contrast it, whether in texture or style.

For example, I don’t do sportswear from top to bottom. First of all, I’m not Gigi -that’s an understatement- and anything of the sort would look at least ridiculous on me. But secondly, I find it boring. I’ve got plenty of sweatshirts and joggers. Trainers, too, as evidenced by the million times I’ve worn them on here. Put them all together, though, and I would look like I’ve just finished my after-school basketball practice, which probably didn’t go that well by the sombre look on my face.

Alexa Chung is the champion of breaking up a look and adding an element of surprise to it. You can see that whenever she wears something overly girly like a Valentino dress, she’ll always have a rock & roll element on her to break it up. I always try to do that myself. A chunky knit goes brilliantly with a vinyl skirt. A pair of docs is the other half of a floral dress as the girls of the 90’s knew so well.

Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci

Blazer (similar) | Pull & Bear Sweatshirt (similar here) | Vintage Belt (similar here and Gucci here ) | H&M Jeans (similar here | Reebok Classic Trainers |

Dressing up each day for me is instinctive and intuitive. I might know I want to wear one thing, but I never have a whole outfit planned out, a fact I’m always trying to rectify to make my getting ready in the mornings even quicker. Case in point: on a lovely Sunday morning, my loyal and talented photographer of a sister and I decided to go for a walk on the empty streets of Athens. I don’t know if I have ever seen Athens looking so calm and serene. Depending on the time and day you explore a city, you can expect to discover a different side of it something which I've found applies to any city.

This outfit started with one desire: to wear my jersey blazer and my mother’s old belt. I’ve been loving this combo lately. But coming back to the art of juxtaposition, I couldn’t wear a shirt underneath the blazer. It would make me look too preppy and too office-ready, and it was a relaxing Sunday! So I thought to myself “what’s the opposite of a work-appropriate garment?” A sweatshirt, of course; the undeniable queen of the street and sports everywhere.

Once the next piece was added, things were easy. I had to wear my beloved straight, blue jeans. There was no dispute on that matter. They are probably the coolest item of clothing I own and paired with my mum’s belt make me look infinitely cooler than I am.

Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci
Blazer-Sweatshirt-Jeans-Sneakers-Reebok-Belt-Gucci

But it’s time to address the belt. Yes, I know it resembles the logo of a certain brand. Or of two brands to be precise. I have absolutely no idea where my mother got it from back in the 80’s, but it’s been sitting in my wardrobe for too long. I must admit I was scared to wear it because in my eyes it was so obviously a rip-off and I never liked condoning the copying of big brands. But at the end of the day, the belt had been bought, the damage was done (long ago), and there seems to be an overall resurgence of flaunting obvious fakes in youth culture, so I thought if not now, when? To be honest, no one on the street cares if what you wear is fake or not. I reckon only fashion people think about these things as much as we do.

With a newfound confidence provided by my shiny belt and equally shiny new hair, I strolled out. As per usual, my sister and I found a nice and cosy little cafe to have our Sunday breakfast in. We’re not that keen on brunch (shock and horror, I know) but on Sundays, we do love having something naughty alongside our mandatory coffee. We headed to “Portatif” a French inspired cafe in Kolonaki at the centre of Athens. It’s quickly become one of our favourite spots and not the least because of its delicious pastries that they make right there in front of you. If you ever find yourselves in Athens, I dare you to enter this place and not drool every time the baker puts creme patisserie inside the croissants or when she’s filling the tarts with oozing, dark, chocolate ganache.

Travel-Athens-Kolonaki-Portatif-Pastries-Bakery-Breakfast
Travel-Athens-Kolonaki-Portatif-Pastries-Bakery-Breakfast
Travel-Athens-Kolonaki-Portatif-Pastries-Bakery-Breakfast
Travel-Athens-Kolonaki-Portatif-Pastries-Bakery-Breakfast
Travel-Athens-Kolonaki-Portatif-Pastries-Bakery-Breakfast

So far, we’ve tried the croissants filled with custard and strawberries, their chewy cookies and their chocolate and banana bread. They were all top notch, but my favourite so far has probably been the croissant. But that’s down to personal taste. I’m sure whatever you find yourselves ordering, you won’t be disappointed.

And on that note, I’ll leave you, hopefully, hungry and ready to start mixing up your outfits.

A tout a l’heure!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow