Hair Talk

Curly VS Straight Hair

It’s funny what difference a hair change can make. I don’t usually straighten my hair, and in this case, the hairdresser had already begun the process before I could stop her. So it was either go all the way or walk out the salon with looking like I walked straight out of a 90’s movie with all its crimped hair glory. I’ll take sleek and straight hair over that kerfuffle.

But the real question here is: did my new coiffure affect what I decided to wear the next day? The answer is no. But did it change the overall look? To that, I’d have to answer, yes.

Firstly, the change was internal. I felt like a different person with straight hair without connoting any positive or negative meaning to the word different. It made me feel more grown-up and put together. And a little bit cooler, at that. I don’t know why that is. I do know, though, that still, most people with the most exposure on the media (old and new) have either straight or fake curly hair. Think about it. Most bloggers and influences have straight hair. It’s what we mostly see on our Instagram feeds. Or maybe it’s just me, and I haven’t made enough of an effort to be more diverse in the media I’m consuming. If so, I apologise.

Still, whenever we do stumble upon curly haired gals, they tend to either be into the boho/folk look with their Californian sun-kissed waves or the ultra-glam and pretty, sugary sweet look of skater dresses and 50’s aesthetics. Thankfully there are many women of colour who wear their curls loudly and proudly without feeling like they have to ascribe to the style and stereotypes that curls are so often associated with.

However, in the last few seasons, I have been happy to witness a curl resurgence. In the world of fashion especially, where diversity in all its forms is still a big issue that needs to be addressed, at least natural curls seem to have made a reappearance. To be fair, that’s probably not attributed to stylists falling back in love with natural curls but letting the models walk on the runways with their respectful natural hair no matter the texture. I don’t know if I’ve got to thank Mica, Imaan or Frederikke but I’m sure they’ve all played a small part in making curls look cool and, well, normal again. Gone are the days of the late 90’s and early noughties when all you saw was pin straight hair.

Above all, I wish that curls could be just of a blank canvas as straight hair are. No, leaving your hair curly doesn’t mean you still live in the 80’s -unless, of course, you’ve brushed them over to one side with a clip. They shouldn’t mean you’re unprofessional or less serious than your straight-haired colleague. They don’t mean you’re quirky or think yourself a princess. (On that note Mia Thermopoulos straightened her hair to become one which I must admit I am taking offence in. I’m sure they could’ve just given her a serum or something to ease the frizz. )

Curls can be cool and rock & roll and pretty and slick and everything else you can think of. Or they can just be hair, you know?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow