Fresh & Supple

How to Have the Perfect Summer Skin


Today I thought I’d share with you something a little different. Skincare is a big part of my life, but I’ve never talked about in depth here. I’m one of those people that are much more likely to spend money on good skincare products than luxury makeup items. To be fair, I love playing around with makeup products, trying new looks and new textures. But I believe that makeup is the last step, the surface if you will that can only do so much for the skin. If what lies underneath isn’t in good shape, then that will show through no matter how much foundation you’ve got on.


I think the importance of taking care of my skin is something my mum has passed down to me. She was never an avid makeup wearer but having sensitive skin meant that she always had to pay careful attention to what she was putting on her face. So I would always wear sunscreen, and from my mid-teens, I would visit the dermatologist on occasion to help me with my acne. Those days may be long gone, but the lessons in caring for your skin health have stayed with me.

But let’s get back to the present. Before I share my skincare routine here are a few things you should know about my skin. Firstly, I would identify it as combination with an oily T-zone and blemish prone. I also have some acne scarring and some pigmentation here and there but nothing too serious. Right now, seeing as I’m reaching my mid-20s, I’m looking to introduce some more anti-aging products like vitamins and acids. My skincare routine consists of a few simple steps and is almost identical morning and night. Let’s break it down then, shall we?

Skincare Routine:

After I've cruelly woken up at 6am, I will drag myself to the bathroom and wash my face with cold water. I will then proceed to cleanse it with The Body Shop Seaweed Cleansing Gel. It takes away all the oils my forehead managed to accumulate through the night and leaves my face feeling fresh and rejuvenated. However, if I’m not having a particularly oily day, I might just skip this step and cleanse my face with some Bioderma Micellar Water or even with just a few splashes of water, to be frank. I know it sounds gross but sometimes we tend to over-cleanse, and as a result, our skin might be breaking out and reacting a lot easier. At nights, I will always, and I mean always do a double cleanse. Even though I don’t wear much makeup on a day to day basis, I still feel the need to clean my face thoroughly, to open up the pores and clear all the gunk that inevitably piles up on the face of everyone leaving in big and small cities. First up, I will use some Bioderma to remove my makeup. Then, instead of The Body Shop Cleanser, I will cleanse with La Roche Posay’s Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser. It’s very gentle, it doesn’t break me out, and if I feel like I need to clean my skin even better, I will go ahead and use it a second time.

Next, I will put on some of my holy grail La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo. In the mornings I tend to mostly apply it in certain areas than in the whole face, but honestly, it’s something that works for me really well. It has helped keep my spots at bay and fade the scars some old pals have caused. Even when I use it all over the face, as I do every single night, it has never caused me any harsh reactions. Suffice it to say; I’m a happy camper.



In my morning routine I will always try to use some eye cream mostly to help me apply my concealer later. Right now I don’t have one, but the last one I’ve been using was the La Roche Posay Toleriane Eye Cream which I can attest to being very gentle and moisturising. It’s my sister’s favourite as well, and she’s got very sensitive eyes. It will not work any miracles; it does not help reduce fine lines and improve your dark circles, but it never claimed to do so. It’s just a brilliant moisturising product for the under eye so if that’s what you’re looking for; then I would highly recommend it to you. I also just bought the La Roche Posay Active C Eye Cream which is more of a treatment for fine lines and works as a preventative for ageing. My plan is to alternate at night between the two eye creams and see how it goes. But seeing as I haven’t used it enough yet, I cannot say if I recommend it or not yet.

The last step is the moisturiser. For the last few years, I’ve been using the La Roche Posay Hydraphase Intense Light. (I swear this is not a sponsored post. I just clearly love La Roche Posay products. You know how it is. Once a brand works for you, it does. ) It’s gentle and very moisturising but seeing as I’m slightly oily I use the Light version rather than the Rich one. My sister who has a bit drier skin uses the Rich one and also seems to enjoy it. It contains hyaluronic acid, which is only a plus in my book and although it’s not marketed towards oily or combination skin types, I find that it doesn’t break me out at all. If you feel your skin lacks moisture and is dehydrated (as is most of our skins), then I would urge you to try it. Just pay attention to which version you choose. If you know your skin can tolerate richer creams and is quite dry, then do go ahead and pick the rich one. I’m sure even I could use it during the wintertime without having any issues. I just find that for my skin type, the Light one works fine most of the time.

So that was it. A simple and easy skincare routine for which evidently, I had a lot to say about. I truly believe that taking care of your skin is one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself. Your skin will thank you in the long run. Once I introduce a few more products in my routine and test them out long enough, I will make sure to share the results with you all.

I hope this post has been helpful. Have you ever tried any of these products? Have they been working for you? Please share your own skincare holy grail products, especially any serums and acids that you believe any mid 20’s gal should try out! Can’t wait to hear your recommendations!

xxx
Mary

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow