Makeup Minute

The Inevitable Five-minute Makeup Routine

 Summer Makeup Routine for a Natural Look | Too Faced Chocolate Palette | Maybelline Lash Sensational | Cliniqie Color pop blusher | MAC Select Cover Up Concealer | The Body Shop Honey Bronzer | The Balm Mary Luminizer

Makeup. It’s something we’ve all got opinion on amirite?

Above all it’s something so very personal. There’s no right way to wear makeup, at least in my opinion. It’s a form of self-expression as much as style and clothes are and I’ve always been an advocate of extending the same generosity we have on personal style on makeup as well. It’s all about having fun and enjoying yourself at the end of the day.

Personally speaking I’ve never been an avid makeup wearer. Like I’ve said I’m much more of a skincare gal. That being said, I do like to dabble here and there in the world of makeup. It’s just too damn fun to skip it. And though most of my choices might err on the side of the “natural” look, I do love a good eyeliner flick, especially during the colder months when I can be sure it won’t slide off my face.

My overall approach to makeup, at least at this moment (and I can’t promise it won’t change in say a few months…) is an easy, je-ne-sais-quoi, Jeanne Damas-cum-Californian girl approach. Does that make any sense? I sure hope so. It’s honestly a lot simpler than it sounds. The one thing I want from my make-up look is to look effortless. I hate feeling like I’ve got tonnes of foundation on. I love letting my skin breathe and covering only what needs to be covered. At least on a day-to-day basis. A brand that perfectly represents my approach to makeup is Glossier. At least I think so because I haven’t tried any of their products yet since they don’t ship outside of the U.S. But from all the Youtube tutorials I’ve seen going around I am pretty positive I would absolutely love most of their products. I mean don’t get me started on their Cloud Paints.

 Summer Makeup Routine for a Natural Look | Too Faced Chocolate Palette | Maybelline Lash Sensational | Cliniqie Color pop blusher | MAC Select Cover Up Concealer | The Body Shop Honey Bronzer | The Balm Mary Luminizer
 Summer Makeup Routine for a Natural Look | Too Faced Chocolate Palette | Maybelline Lash Sensational | Cliniqie Color pop blusher | MAC Select Cover Up Concealer | The Body Shop Honey Bronzer | The Balm Mary Luminizer

I hope this has given you an idea of what I like to put on my face. A light base. Dewy skin. Pink cheeks and bronzed yet luminous cheekbones. Though I must be the one to admit I never look as tanned as I would have liked. I would have thought living in one of the sunniest countries would have helped counteract my pastiness, but having the blackest of black hair doesn’t help. Perhaps I should go blonder?

So yes. Base is my jam. If my skin looks as flawless as possible, I could go out feeling like Beyonce. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but you get my point. The hardest part in creating a perfect base is covering my undereye circles; my colouring does not help. It creates shadows and hollows, and no matter how much I might have slept they’re always there. Still, I know others have got it much harder than me, so I try not to complain too much. There’s nothing a bit (or a lot) of concealer won’t cover. Right now I’m using Mac’s Select Cover Up concealer in NC20 for both my under-eye and my skin. I do try to thin it out as much as possible though and go on in layers than pile it up since it’s pretty heavy duty and it can look cakey if you’re not careful. I spot conceal with it, cover my rosy cheek and nose area, and that’s pretty much it. If I’m feeling like I need some more coverage, I might put on a BB or CC cream. Right now I’ve got a Garnier one, which is nothing special but works fine. Base aside, the rest of my makeup changes from day to day. For the sake of this post, though, I’ve been trying to notice any patterns in my routine share them with you.

If I decide to wear some eyeshadow it will probably be in a simple colour, probably a satin finish from my Too Faced Chocolate palette (which I just adore). I find that shimmery colours bring more life to my brown eyes than a matte one would. I love wearing just one wash of colour with just a coating of mascara. Lately, I’ve also been experimenting with a few pinkier and peachier shades on the lids, and I’ve been kind of loving it. And here’s a tip. If you want to try something new without going out and spending money, use what you have. For my peach eye looks, I’ve been using my blushes, and I have to admit they have been working formidably.

And speaking of blush that’s a step I will never EVER skip. Not ever. No sir. Due to my colouring, I will look completely washed out without some colour on my face, especially if I’m also wearing a nude lip. #blushon. And the bronzer is equally important for the same reason. I've had The Body Shop's Honey Bronzer for years now, and it works perfectly. It gives me a healthy-looking tan without ever looking like I've got too much on. I've never looked like an Oompa Loompa, which to me proves the success of this bronzer.

A bit of highlighter on the high points of the cheeks has also become unavoidable. Who doesn't love having glowing cheeks? Not too much, though. I've got the Balm's OG Mary Luminizer but I tend to use a very light hand with it, or I could end up looking like a disco ball.

Last but not least, come the lips. Right now, I don't have any product that I'm completely satisfied with. I'm on the hunt for a "my lips but better" colour in a comfortable formulation. Honestly, it could have any finish, except metallic or shimmery. So, not any but I'm open to all suggestions.

So, how about you? Do you wear makeup? What is your approach to it and what are your favourite products? I'm really curious and always on the lookout for new favourites!

xx Mary

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow