How to Wear the Vinyl Skirt in the Summer

vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |

Vinyl skirt for summer? Now that is indeed groundbreaking, but you know what? It wasn’t as bad as I imagined it would be. Granted the day was rainy and muggy, ready to burst and thankfully it did, or we would still be looking up to dirty orange-hued clouds. Even as someone who has always been romanticising rainy weather, I still find it extremely annoying to have autumn weather when it’s supposed to be spring and summer. And so my limbs were out disregarding the weather. If the Brits can go around in miniskirts all year giving no effs about the weather then why can’t I?

I would feel like a hypocrite though if I did not disclaim that the temperature was not that low, something that undoubtedly contributed to my decision to go tightless. As you can see, my trench coat was soon slung on my arm; more a carrying accessory than a jacket. To be honest, I knew even before leaving the house that I wouldn’t really need it. I just knew I would feel overexposed and self-conscious without it. It’s funny because no matter how much progress I’ve made in feeling more confident there’s always that first reaction that is almost like a habit, like my past child and teen self, take over the reigns on that instant and make decisions that if I thought consciously about them now, I wouldn’t make them. So then, when I realise the power my old habits still have over me I am amazed at how complex our psychology and brains are.

The first step is to realise that what you’re doing doesn’t represent your current state. I’m sure many of you have felt those fallbacks into past (and comforting at many times) selves, states or even emotions. Then, when I’ve realised it, I try to make a conscious effort to disengage myself from that way of thinking. No thank you, I’ll say, I’ve made too much progress to fall back into my comforting blankets of covering myself and making myself invisible. I will toss away that trench and show off my vinyl skirt proudly. I thought it would be scary and it would draw attention to myself something I’m so used to trying to avoid. In the end, it was more liberating than anything else. It felt like loosening a corset, like allowing myself to breathe freely, to not suffocate under the pressure of the old me that still clings on to me trying to resurface at any given point.

vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |

The trench on this day felt exactly like the perfect symbol. I felt I had to grab it and when I realised it and pluck the courage to toss it away, my current, more confident self-resurfaced and could enjoy the warm weather without sweating profusely under its unneeded weight.

So from now on, I’ll keep my trench for when it’s actually needed. It seems like a shame to waste such beautiful weather and not wear your tees and shorts proudly. And the Mac will always reign supreme on rainy days.

Coming back to the vinyl skirt full-circle, it’s amazing how much it can actually help you feel confident and TBF badass. Scrolling down the Instagram lane I would see all those girls wearing vinyl skirt exuding confidence. Doth the skirt create the confidence, or the confident girl wears the skirt? That is the question, but it’s irrelevant. For the result, either way, is that the girl looks assured and empowered. You honestly can’t wear a skirt like that and not feel like you’ve gained some sort of secret power.

But of course being me, I wanted to tone the skirt down. Nothing revealing on top, or clingy (though I very much admire the girls who do and make it look like it’s effortless; but to each their own ), just a striped top in 70’s colours. And because I’m all about the comfort, I threw on my Chucks for good measure. Sometimes I wish I were the girl who wears nice shoes and heels on a day to day basis, but I have to accept that I’m not. It’s an odd position to be in because I’ve got a shoe obsession. I love every sandal, every blocky high heel, every ridiculously decorated Miu Miu platform and yet I know that I would probably never wear them. It’s a shame I know, and it’s the area of my comfort zone that I’m mostly trying to step out of. It doesn’t help that my feet and toes are super sensitive and get blisters and swollen in seconds. Alas, these are the woes of fashion lovers, and I’m determined to overcome them. Perhaps when I’m in London and women, there are much more likely to wear heels than in Athens.

vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |
vinyl skirt for summer | bare legs | confidence boost | www.theblushfulhippocrene.blogspot.com |

Wrapping up this long and incohesive post I want to urge you to try wearing a mini vinyl/plastic skirt. Let the 80’s exuberance flow through you; the confidence of the girls who wear it as if it’s just another skirt be transmitted to you. Wear them with casual tees, silky tops, modest blouses. Let the power of the skirt work its magic on you, and you’ll feel like a new woman.

As always, let me know your thoughts below. Have you ever felt that a piece of clothing can boost your confidence? Or that you might be using another one as a safety blanket, holding on to the past?

xx Mary

Top: Zara (similar but much more expensive and drool-worthy here)
Skirt: Bershka (similar)
Trench: Zara (similar)
Shoes: Converse (similar)

Other lovely vinyl skirts:

The links used are affiliate. If you don't wish to use them please feel free not to click on any of them. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow